Sunday, January 22, 2006

WHAT IS SHIBARI?



I am often asked, what is shibari?

Shibari Do can be described as a method, an art form, and philosophy, not a religion.

Shibari Do to me, is the interaction of wrapping, or weaving rope on the body in an artful way, combined with the mental, physical, and spiritual being. An incorporation of my personal philosophies, combined with eastern philosophies, western philosophies, and the western lifestyle, how it applies to me and my reality.

I have tried to combine the best of all these philosophies to form my own.


Shibari can mean different things to different people.
Below is a good definition of what shibari Fymo Ryu is all about.


Shibari is the interaction between ropes and the Ki energy meridians in the human body. Ki (or Chi in Chinese) is the energy of life; meridians are the channels, through which this energy flows. And since Ki - in Oriental philosophy - controls life inside the body as well as the interaction between the body and its environment, shibari has a direct influence on life. Ki can only flow and create a healthy situation through the eternal pattern of changes between Yin and Yang. Shibari strives to infuence this pattern through magnifying both the Yin and Yang position on many different levels.
(from shibari Fumo Ryu)
Drawing by Giovanni di Napoli (Courtesy: Solo Verlag)


No comments: